5th of 8, I quite like this tasty soup but I seldom cook it, to me this dish takes a lot of my time. Preparing the soup is actual a simple task, but it is the constant checking and stirring of the soup that I find it troublesome. This soup can serve alone as a meal with a bowl of rice or vermicelli.
- 1 rack of pork ribs (1/2 kg)
- 1 big carrot
- 3-5 red dates
- 1/3 cup of barley
- 1 small dried cuttlefish
- Some dried scallops
- Some chicken/pork bones
- Oyster sauce
- Boil half a pot of water with bones, dried cuttlefish and dried scallops for at least 1/2 an hour.
- Wash and clean the ribs. Cut the ribs and bring to boil to get rid of the blood.
- Peel the skin of the carrot and cut it into a big chunks.
- Wash the barley and add them into the pot of water, add the ribs that has been cooked and the carrots and the red dates. Boil slowly on medium heat.
- Cover the pot with the lid and stir occasionally to check the thickness of the soup. Add a bit of water if the soup is too thick.
- Let the soup boil till all the ingredients in the soup turn off then add some salt and oyster sauce to taste.
- After adding let it simmer for another 15 minutes.
Cooking Time 2 hours