This is a very useful and popular dipping sauce used by South East Asian. It is also easily available ready made in bottle in all the supermarkets, mini markets and online stores in South East Asia countries. Some decades ago when I live outside South East Asia where the ready made sauce is not easily available even in Chinatown stores. I believe now it shall be easily in any Chinatown Stores or online. But I will still make this myself instead of buying ready made as it is very easy to prepare and that is one way I also can avoid chemical such as preservatives.
This sauce suppose to be spicy and sweet, and very suitable as dipping sauce for seafood, meats, steamboat and Yong Tau Foo. The spicy is determined by the chili padi while the shallot give it the armorance.
- 3 chili padi, crushed
- 150 g shallots, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soya sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoon oil
- Heat up oil and sauté in chili padi and shallots until fragrant.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and bring to boil.
- Remove from heat and leave to cool before store in a glass container and store under refrigeration.
Cooking Time 20 minutes.
Storage period Good for 2 – 3 months under refrigeration
Footnote Serve as dipping sauce very suitable for seafood, meat and Yong Tau Foo