This seasoning sauce is very popular with South East Asian and it’s origin from the Malay. I don’t think it is easily available outside South East Asia. This sauce is easily prepare and can be stored for months. However, there are two ingredients not easily available outside South East Asia and that is asam paste and asam keping. I don’t think it is easily available online and not all the Chinatown store selling these as the 2 ingredients mostly used by South East Asian and not the North Asian. It might be available if your Chinatown store selling Thai spices. This sauce give a spicy and sour taste to food making the food more appetizing.
- 5 stalks lemongrass
- 1 stalk ginger flower
- 50 g garlic
- 50 g shallots
- 100 ml oil
- 200g chili bob
- 300 g asam paste
- 5 asam keping, mixed with 200 ml and boiled until thick
- 6 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Ground lemongrass, ginger flower, garlic and shallots in the food processor.
- Heat up oil and sauté in all the grounded ingredients until fragrant.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and cook until thick.
- Leave to cool before store in a glass container and store under refrigeration.
Cooking Time 20 minutes.
Storage Period Good for 2 – 3 months under refrigeration