I obtained this recipe from a cook book about 20 years ago, had forgotten the title of the book and the cook book also lost during all these years of moving around. Thus the current recipe in my note I not sure how much is really from original. I still have an impression on this dish history, as I know another way of doing it, the Chinese way which is the way my mum doing it, I will share that next time.
This dish seems complex to prepare but it is rather easy and fast to prepare. This dish can be served as appetizer or as a main course with rice or couscous. Instead of sear, this dish also can be prepared using barbecue or roast in a hot oven at 200°C for 10 minutes. Thus this dish also can be used for bar food, cocktail food or barbecue food.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 8 Squids
- Olive oil for brushing
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup brioche crumbs
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 garlic cove, crushed
- 1 green habanero chili, finely chopped.
- 2 slices serrano or Parma ham, finely chopped (I tried mince pork or beef and it works, most of time I will try to avoid process meat)
- Grated rind and juice of 1 lime
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 250 g arugula or mustard leaves
- Chili oil
- Melt the butter in a skillet, when sizzling, add the brioche crumbs and sauté until golden. Remove from the skillet, place in an bowl and mix with cilantro leaves, garlic, green habanero chili, Serrano (or Parma ham or minced meat), lime juice and grated rind, salt and ground back pepper.
- Gently pull the squid body away from the head and tentacles, cut off the tentacle and reserved. Rinse out the bodies and discard the transparent quill and the head. In Asia supermarket, if you buy the frozen type with tentacle, most likely this step is already done.
- Place the filling mixture loosely in each squid and fasten shut using soaked wooden cocktail sticks. Brush the squid with olive oil and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Heat an oiled cast-iron grill pan on top of the stove, and sear the squid with tentacles for 5 minutes on each side.
- Arrange the arugula or mustard leaves on serving plates, and place the squid on top. Drizzle with chili oil and serve immediately. For barbecued or roasted, Char Siew Sauce can be used for the dipping sauce.
Cooking Time 30 minutes