Sometime back when I was writing on the recipe from my friend on steam chicken, Steam Chicken with Spring Onion, I mentioned about another way of cooking this dish. This is a popular dish in Singapore, you can find it everywhere in almost any food courts, hawker centres , kopi shop and even hotels and restaurants. If you are a visitor to Singapore, you must try it or else you really missed a culture must do experience in Singapore. Haian although is an island in China, but the actual Hainanese chicken rice is totally different from what we have here.
One of the ingredient, pandan leaves are used in South-East Asian, which not easily can find in Chinatown stores outside South East Asia. Try your best to get it, it really make a different but without it the dish still not bad.
Ingredients (Serve 4)
- 1 Whole chicken (about 2 kg)
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon cooking wine or sherry
- 4 stalk spring onion tie into a bundle
- 2 stalks pandan leaves tie into a bundle
- 1 old ginger peeled
- Wash the chicken & leave it to dry. Rub the exterior & the cavity of the chicken with the mixtures of cooking wine (or sherry), spring onion, ginger and panda leaves. Leave the mixtures of cooking wine (or sherry), spring onion, ginger and panda leaves in the cavity of chicken & let it stand for an hour.
- Place the chicken nicely at the bottom of a pot, put in salt and water till just cover the whole chicken. Put on low heat for 30 minutes which shall bring it to boil for another 5 minute. This step is a bit tricky as if over cook, the chicken will be slightly tough and not springy and tender. The key here is when the water just boiled then take it out 5 minutes later, don’t leave it too long.
- Prepare another deep pot with 1/2 filled with 50% water and 50% ice. Take out the chicken, with the spring onion, ginger and panda leaves removed, and dip the chicken fully into the chilled water for 10 minutes.Take out the chicken and leave it to dry and cut into bite size.
- Use the pandan leaves, spring onion and the boiled chicken stock to cook chicken rice in rice cooker.
- Serve with steamed chicken rice and the Spicy Shallot Sauce.
Cooking Time: 1.5 hours including preparing the sauce.